1997-01-15 - Re: Newt’s phone calls

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Alan Bostick <abostick@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 017c6ed421a017482aa6ebe12aa9ae76cbdec3448e7dcd5f3ad229b5a029fc4f
Message ID: <32DC8A07.64AE@gte.net>
Reply To: <Pine.3.89.9701141425.A3919-0100000@netcom18>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-15 08:23:01 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 00:23:01 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 00:23:01 -0800 (PST)
To: Alan Bostick <abostick@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Newt's phone calls

Alan Bostick wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Michael Tighe SUN IMP wrote:
> > Bill Stewart writes:[snip]
> (Someone mentioned that they thought cordless phone intercepts weren't
> illegal the way cellular phone intercepts are.  IANAL, but I recall that
> intercepting both was made illegal by the same legislation.)
> Of course, if the phone in question was a cell phone that happened to
> be stationary -- like a handheld phone in someone's back yard or in a
> restaurant or whatever, the question of the call jumping cells is moot.

Cell phone monitoring is illegal everywhere.  Cordless phones are
on a state-by-state basis (illegal in Calif.).

The purpose of the legislation is so that when the feds etc. catch
someone in a major violation (scanning businesses and selling
competitive or security info, whatever), they have a statute to
prosecute on.

Thread