1997-01-14 - Re: Newt’s phone calls

Header Data

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan@USIT.NET>
To: Michael Tighe SUN IMP <michael.tighe@Central.Sun.COM>
Message Hash: a62a1f9f325cc9cb62958147f7f7c35a74b39a1f47b94b094a291b12cdffa6da
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970114175350.18725B-100000@use.usit.net>
Reply To: <199701142058.OAA05219@jeep.Central.Sun.COM>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-14 22:58:43 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 14:58:43 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan@USIT.NET>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 14:58:43 -0800 (PST)
To: Michael Tighe SUN IMP <michael.tighe@Central.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Newt's phone calls

Mmmm.  I'm told that, on most cellphone calls, a scanner will present both
sides of the conversation on the same frequency.  Usually one side will be
louder.  Perhaps there's some feedback from a party's receiver back into
his transmitter?

bd

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Michael Tighe SUN IMP wrote:

> Bill Stewart writes:
>
> >Tapping cellphones is more trouble than tapping wired phones -
> >they move around, and to tap them from the phone company end
> >requires taps everywhere that you activate when you know where
> >somebody is.
>
> Exactly. So how come mom&pop with a scanner were able to record BOTH sides
> of the conversation without interruption? This seems pretty suspicious to
> me. I think Old Newt was targeted by someone inside the phone company, who
> was eavesdropping on all of his cell calls.

Thread