1997-02-04 - Re: If guilty of a lesser crime, you can be sentenced for a greater

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Igor Chudov <ichudov@algebra.com>
Message Hash: ecedc9ca2c6e3bab15886b84e6a37497e0af10a3b77d3430d0c3e324c87066c8
Message ID: <32F6F314.6E28@gte.net>
Reply To: <199702030241.UAA25010@manifold.algebra.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-04 08:29:24 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 00:29:24 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 00:29:24 -0800 (PST)
To: Igor Chudov <ichudov@algebra.com>
Subject: Re: If guilty of a lesser crime, you can be sentenced for a greater

Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
> Dale Thorn wrote:
> > Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
[some arguments deleted for lack of time to reply]
> > > Another story: suppose that OKSAS hired me to work for her, but then
> > > our relationships go south and she fires me. Again, her fate is very
> > > unclear, although I would probably spare her life if it were she.

> > If she does it right, with empathy, there is not likely to be a
> > problem.  On the other hand, if she bad-mouths you to prospective
> > employers or customers you want to do business with, you might be
> > inclined to hit her.  This happens a lot when AP is not available.

> ... But would happen more often if it was.

Why, if AP was readily available, would she want to risk being hit
by bad-mouthing you unnecessarily?

> > people who have such money are not going to bump off very many more
> > people than they already do, because:
> > 1. They need the people to make money off of (Mafia rule #4, never
> >    kill someone who owes you money [or is a money source]).

> This is a wrong Mafia rule, they do kill debtors who are in default.

Really?  Then how do they collect their money?  BTW, I heard the rule
from the mouth of a real mob hitman.

> > 2. Rich people have a lot of eyes on them, and it would be easy to
> >    triangulate a series of murders to them, even without hard evidence.
> >    In an AP world, this triangulation/correlation would be enough to
> >    convince people to either shun this killer, or kill him outright.

> When ten people make deals with each other, it becomes hard to
> triangulate. And it is easy, if you know what deals are done, to change
> the result of triangulation: suppose that I know that you borrowed 1
> million from Toto, that my _and_ yours business partner had been
> murdered (by me, but no one knows), and I am afraid that someone will
> triangulate me and implicate me in that murder. I secretly order
> the AP bot to kill Toto, and you get implicated.  Not good.

We all know how people are framed, and we've seen the Hitchcockian
murder scenarios on TV, in movies, etc.  Certainly the CIA et al can
create these scenarios, but what does that have to do with AP as used
by ordinary persons?

Thread