1994-12-01 - Re: We are ALL guests (except Eric)

Header Data

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
To: cactus@bb.hks.net (L. Todd Masco)
Message Hash: aff37a84a610c3f4469b88b59d18e7ed3bf2c6bfebe3b8a82a81b68d6f742e24
Message ID: <199412011109.DAA26184@netcom3.netcom.com>
Reply To: <3bj4m6$r4a@bb.hks.net>
UTC Datetime: 1994-12-01 11:09:26 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Dec 94 03:09:26 PST

Raw message

From: tcmay@netcom.com (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 94 03:09:26 PST
To: cactus@bb.hks.net (L. Todd Masco)
Subject: Re: We are ALL guests (except Eric)

L. Todd Masco wrote:

> Tim's come out strongly against the proposal, as has James.  As far
> as I can see, Tim's the only one that's raised the stakes to the
> ultimatum, "Do it and I leave" (although it's not clear whether he means
> the rejection or the slowdown of unsigned posts, and whether he'd instead
> decide to use an auto-signing service.  Tim?)
                                          ^^^^

I have no idea about these "auto-signing services." My inclination
would be not to use them, as I rarely engage in "workarounds" to deal
with situations where speed bumps have been placed in my way.

If it's just a few minutes delay, who cares? If it's a few hours, I'll
likely bombard the list with "Has anybody seen the message I posted?"
messages. (There is no rule against this, so I expect to do this.)

If my messages are delayed by many hours or days, then it is the same
as if they been rejected...participation in threads is ended. (I think
Jamie Lawrence made similar points, when he/she (I forget which)) made
the point about minutes-hours-days being a tough issue.)

I haven't said I plan to leave the list. I've said that if my posts
are blocked/bounced/rejected, I would likely choose not to remain.

(Reference to "I am still considering the "sign-or-delay" proposal for
the toad.com server, that is, sign your articles to the list or
they'll be delayed and eventually rejected." [Eric Hughes, 1994-11-28])

I will register a note of purely personal frustration that many have
framed the current debate in terms of "Eric's list" and "If Eric wants
to do it this way, then this is how it should be done," etc.

I have no animosity toward Eric, but think this is a misguided
rewriting of history.

--Tim May

tcmay@netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Cypherpunks list: majordomo@toad.com with body message of only: