1995-07-31 - Re: a hole in PGP

Header Data

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 37a1b5cc2b41f67bb88cf1657eea39382e638d5a029f60e9b75a67b3d45226d9
Message ID: <v02120d01ac431417e9c5@[199.0.65.105]>
Raw Date: Mon, 31 Jul 95 16:23:22 PDT

Raw message

From: rah@shipwright.com (Robert Hettinga)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 95 16:23:22 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: a hole in PGP

At 6:53 PM 7/31/95, Dr. Fred said:
>        Why (specifically) do you think the MIT version of PGP has no
>backdoors and is not subject to attacks such as the one outlined in my

<Metzger_mode("on")>

I've been watching this gark long enough, I think.

Look. If you're qualified, look at the PGP source and vet it yourself. If
you aren't qualified, figure the market to be efficient in this instance
and assume the stuff works.

Stop wasting our time and bandwidth harassing the MIT folk about whether or
not their code is clean. Such posturing won't wash around here.

<Metzger_mode("off")>

Seriously, it may be an appeal to authority, but it can safely be assumed
that PGP is clean, and that MIT is *not* involved with the NSA and the Red
Leptons in a conspiracy to spy on our alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.stoats
postings.

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
Shipwright Development Corporation, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131
USA (617) 323-7923
"Reality is not optional." --Thomas Sowell

Thread