1995-08-01 - Re: OS noise [Was: a hole in PGP]

Header Data

From: Nathan Zook <nzook@bga.com>
To: Phil Fraering <pgf@tyrell.net>
Message Hash: b65b08c065202ff817dcb907b88901b1538b0f1884b570f978d7027b83b37ed7
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9507312331.E21268-0100000@jake.bga.com>
Reply To: <199508010213.AA07127@tyrell.net>
UTC Datetime: 1995-08-01 04:33:51 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 31 Jul 95 21:33:51 PDT

Raw message

From: Nathan Zook <nzook@bga.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 95 21:33:51 PDT
To: Phil Fraering <pgf@tyrell.net>
Subject: Re: OS noise  [Was: a hole in PGP]

On Mon, 31 Jul 1995, Phil Fraering wrote:

> For better or for worse, we all must use programs (or collections
> of programs) that large or larger: even if PGP could be implemented
> in 1 % of the current source code, it would still be running in an
> operating system that's cramped in 4 megabytes of ram, because that's
> a characteristic of the common modern operating systems.

Ahem!  Commiedore APOLOGIED when it released its 512K OS a couple of
years ago.  These things _don't_ have to be this large.

> The operating systems PGP is running in are larger than PGP itself;

Got that straight!

> which isn't a bad idea. This isn't meant to be a disendorsement of
> Unix.)

Oh, please!  Now that I'm back with my direct connection, I want another
OS holy war!  I want to killfile LOTS of people (or two people in
particular).

> What OS should I use to do this? Should I just give up on anything
> beyond TRS-DOS 6.2?

No!  Use UltraDos.  Much better!

Nathan

Now THAT's noise....