1996-07-13 - Re: Can’t block caller ID in Massachusetts?

Header Data

From: “Bruce M.” <bkmarsh@feist.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 3950fe808a4d808d16e7b87ab3bbd17855e9faa6790be8f6fb2bab744680f036
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.91.960712215349.856B-100000@wichita.fn.net>
Reply To: <199607121555.LAA19993@extreme-discipline.lcs.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-13 08:27:38 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 16:27:38 +0800

Raw message

From: "Bruce M." <bkmarsh@feist.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 16:27:38 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Can't block caller ID in Massachusetts?

On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, David Mazieres wrote:

> They said no problem, but...  They said nothing I can do will block it
> when I call 800 numbers.  "The people with 800 numbers have special
> software, and there is nothing you can do to block your identity when
> calling them.  Not even *67."
>
> Wow.  Maybe I'm not paranoid enough, but I never expected this.  I can
> never again call an 800 number anonymously to get information about
> something unless I go out to a pay phone.  What an incredible
> inconvenience, and how truly depressing.
>
> I know 800 number owners probably used to be able to get lists of
> calling phone numbers on their phone bills, but this is less
> disturbing as it would take significant effort to match up the lists
> after the fact.  I just want to be able to call up companies and say,
> for instance, "If I buy your product, can it do X?" as opposed to, for
> instance, "I'm stuck with your product, can it do X?".  People are
> often more helpful in the former case.  Now, though, they'll know
> exactly who I am before they even say hello.

    This is nothing new.  800, 900 and some other similiar numbers have
been able to subscribe to a service called Automatic Number
Identification (ANI) for many years now.  While it is related to Caller
ID, it doesn't operate with necessarily the same restrictions/options.
Many companies use ANI in addition with special software to actually look
at where you are calling from and either pull up your records, transfer
you to a region specific extension, etc.

    I've heard rumors that some carriers pull their ANI information from
CID thereby enabling you to block it just like you would the normal
signal.  Other methods of remaining anonymous can be achieved by going
through long distance companies that don't pass on ANI information or
paying companies who offer you ANI blocking dial-throughs.

                      [ Bruce M. - Feist Systems, Inc. ]
     "Official estimates show that more than 120 countries have or are
      developing [information warfare] capabilities." -GAO/AIMD-96-84

Thread