1996-07-14 - Re: Can’t block caller ID in Massachusetts?

Header Data

From: “Bruce M.” <bkmarsh@feist.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: efd3891c8bf614d4a8dd435bec4134cb6b846a5b5f4875dafa6895d82e45740d
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.91.960713141314.357B-100000@wichita.fn.net>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960713073643.20814A-100000@crl9.crl.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-14 00:15:27 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 08:15:27 +0800

Raw message

From: "Bruce M." <bkmarsh@feist.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 08:15:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Can't block caller ID in Massachusetts?

On Sat, 13 Jul 1996, Sandy Sandfort wrote:

> > It would still be possible for the LD company to just pass
> > through your information for ANI, although I wonder what
> > percentage actually do.
>
> Not being technically oriented, I may be venturing into deep
> water here, but I don't think ANI "pass through" is likely at
> all.  When you use a pre-paid calling card, TWO separate calls
> and call set-ups are made, your call to the card company and
> the card companies call to your ultimate destination.  While
> many (most?) card companies keep records of all calls placed,
> there are some who keep no records at all.  Unless this
> hypothetical "pass through" capability is somehow built into
> the the phone infrastructure and is transparent to the card
> companies, I seriously doubt the card companes would invest any
> resources in doing such a "pass through."  After all, the same
> information is available, albeit with a bit more work, from
> their operational logs if they even keep those.

    I'm not positive, but I think that there may be some standards on
what types of signals and information that they must pass through.  I
don't know that ANI signals would be among those, but I know that LD
companies have been 'encouraged' for quite some time to pass on
the information.

                      [ Bruce M. - Feist Systems, Inc. ]
     "Official estimates show that more than 120 countries have or are
      developing [information warfare] capabilities." -GAO/AIMD-96-84

Thread