1997-11-17 - Re: Tim May’s offensive racism

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Message Hash: d8df9680463e008733c9d4e88fbe69d1e1039e19a179dd72e25c0b4e066819d8
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.971116175711.1782A-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <19971116085933.51526@songbird.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-11-17 19:18:07 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:18:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:18:07 +0800
To: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Subject: Re: Tim May's offensive racism

> So far as I know, there hasn't been a single post suggesting that
> Tim's freedom of speech be curtailed.  Nobody is running to mommy, or
> hiding under the bed.  And in the context of this list I have no idea
> what "over-zealous pinko liberal" means.

I agree that a lot of comment on the subject has been from the point of
view you outline above, but several anonymous posts have been of the
ranting kind that suggests the poster is a quasi-libertarian who believes
in "freedom of speech, almost". As for the quote, I think in the ranting
context of the discussion a few pointless and out of context mild flames
aren`t entirely out of place, and "over-zealous pinko liberal" was just
the first one that sprang to mind after a few too many whiskeys.

> > Racist comments to me would be those that generalised the opinion to all
> > Japanese, Tim insulted one particular person.
>
> I don't base my assessment of Tim on that single incident -- it's
> based on a history of his comments going back some time.  And I only
> bring it up now because others have.

If this is truly the case you have more justification for your comments
(even though I happen to disagree with them) than most who have posted on
this subject, who have reacted soley on this one isolated statement without
any reference to Tims other posts.

> > If you are going to become
> > oversensitive about such comments the cypherpunks list is probably the
> > worst place to be.
>
> I'm not oversensitive -- just stating the obvious to the oblivious.

Not so, making a distinction between different races is not the same as
being racist, I could call you a yank, any of our 2 japanese posters a
slant-eyed jap, and you could refer to me as a closeted limey, we both
know the other has no serious intention to offend a whole ethnic group,
even if the statement is intended to be offensive to its particular
recipient. Someone over sensitive would however feel the comment was
racist, ymmv, if it did, I would think your opinion wrong.

> It is an unfortunate fact that a large percentage of the population is
> racist without even being aware of it, and, like you, vigorously deny
> it.

I do not consider myself racist, merely able to see past PC bullshit
about not calling a violent drug addicted "person of colour" a "fucked up
nigger".

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org