1997-12-23 - Re: SPECIAL REPORT: Censorware in the Stacks

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: honig@otc.net>
Message Hash: 5799a2bb0713d93c5657e97bd42f8bd34d0478be00e57f36600b356ad8fb6e73
Message ID: <v03102805b0c4e8e2decb@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <3.0.5.32.19971222100447.007d28c0@otc.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-23 05:21:13 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 13:21:13 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 13:21:13 +0800
To: honig@otc.net>
Subject: Re: SPECIAL REPORT: Censorware in the Stacks

At 9:13 PM -0700 12/22/97, Paul Spirito wrote:

>It's true that in the absence of public libraries this would not be an
>issue; however, it is an example of the state acting as sovereign, not
>employer. We're concerned with the right of patrons to access material, &
>they are not state employees. The situation is analogous to a public park:
>just because the state owns it, does that mean it can forbid, say, criticism
>of the state in it? No, of course not, though it has broader discretion in
>limiting the speech of public employees in the park, while on-duty.

Well, to move this away from First Amendment issues, for the sake of
novelty, I know of several nearby state-owned parks (literally) which
forbid discharge of firearms or even carrying of firearms.

Whither the Second Amendment? (Or has it withered?)

--Tim May