1998-09-07 - Re: e$: crypto-expatriatism

Header Data

From: Ryan Lackey <ryan@systemics.ai>
To: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Message Hash: 60924f8b4fb28f6a4184ae31cd7bffdc54e88faab9fa19c1e991b05ff2a47c7b
Message ID: <E0zG9gU-0000D4-00@arianrhod.systemics.ai>
Reply To: <v0401170db219f0b9c52c@[139.167.130.246]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-07 22:27:11 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 06:27:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Ryan Lackey <ryan@systemics.ai>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 06:27:11 +0800
To: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Subject: Re: e$: crypto-expatriatism

(Note: my original message was posted to Cypherpunks, which I consider
to be substantially different than DBS: had I been posting to DBS, I would
have included different details...list differentiation is kin of useful,
it's why the different lists were created in the first place)

> At 3:38 PM -0400 on 9/7/98, Robert Hettinga wrote about Ryan Lackey's
> whereabouts, on cypherpunks:
>
> > If I told you, I would have to kill you?

I never said this.  If you'd like to fabricate/summarize/editorialize,
please make it clear that that's what you're doing, by using the traditionally
accepted editorial convention of square brackets, or some other convention.
I prefer Chicago Manual of Style, but I'm sure the AP Stylebook is acceptable.

> Whew. Glad Ryan has now said something publically now about his and Ian's bit
> of extraterritorial subtrifuge (though Ian  doesn't qualify, of course). I
> mean, I just *hate* keeping secrets... ;-).

Ian Goldberg isn't involved -- he's working on Zero Knowledge Systems,
AFAIK, and I wish him luck, but I haven't really spoken to him in months.  He's
a Canadian, anyway.  I haven't mentioned working with anyone else anywhere,
other than that I'm working for "interesting" clients.  If you know otherwise,
it isn't particularly public knowledge at this point.

> Frankly, I *really* have a hard time with all this
> man-without-a-first-world-country, crypto-expat stuff. I think making the
> technology not eonomically optional is the way to change things, and no
> amount of romantic, jurisdiction-shopping "regulatory arbitrage" is going
> to alter reality all that much.

I'm not breaking US law.  I'm a US citizen.  I pay my taxes, respect US
law, etc.  It's just that I'm choosing to work on something somewhere other
than the US, for a variety of reasons.

> And, I wish Vince -- and now, apparently, Ryan -- good luck, whatever happens.

Vince formally renounced his citizenship, becoming a citizen of a small
african country, and intends to remain in Anguilla.  I left the US
for a while to work on stuff, and to get away from a major US city for
a while.  I think there's a huge difference here.  What I have
done is fundamentally no different than going to Montana to write code
for a while, other than that it was cheaper and more convenient for me to
come to Anguilla.

(Of course, Vince seems to be doing quite well...)  I just happen to not want
to go back to the US right now, it's not that I can't if I decide I want
to at some point.

Thanks,
Ryan
(who generally does not provide confidential information to people
who do not like keeping secrets, out of kindness for them)

Thread