1998-09-07 - Re: e$: crypto-expatriatism

Header Data

From: Ian Grigg <iang@systemics.com>
To: rah@shipwright.com
Message Hash: 6a834026dc7d853070ec2dc8a8f2daa2c84ac330015c9966cf171508dd99de3d
Message ID: <199809072239.SAA02421@systemics.com>
Reply To: <v0401170db219f0b9c52c@[139.167.130.246]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-07 22:41:35 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 06:41:35 +0800

Raw message

From: Ian Grigg <iang@systemics.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 06:41:35 +0800
To: rah@shipwright.com
Subject: Re: e$: crypto-expatriatism

> At 3:38 PM -0400 on 9/7/98, Robert Hettinga wrote about Ryan Lackey's
> whereabouts, on cypherpunks:
>
> > If I told you, I would have to kill you?
>
> Whew. Glad Ryan has now said something publically now about his and Ian's bit
> of extraterritorial subtrifuge (though Ian  doesn't qualify, of course). I
> mean, I just *hate* keeping secrets... ;-).

As secrets go, this was not a big one...  The main thing that is
meant to be confidential was the nature and names of our clients,
and under normal business practice, they hold the option(s) on PR.
I don't think anyone should need to die to protect that, as even then,
their main issue is (probably) not revealing a relationship with a
product until it did what they wanted.

> Frankly, I *really* have a hard time with all this
> man-without-a-first-world-country, crypto-expat stuff.

Well, it's not *quite* like that.  The US was seriously considered,
but Ryan's offer of a fraternity bedroom/office, T1 or no T1, was
not as attractive as some time in the sun.  After all, FC came to
Anguilla for good reasons.

Also, there are other sites under long term consideration, not
in the US, but in other cool places.  The main reason for
considering these sites is that they make business sense; and
they are definately cool.  Maybe we'll keep the details to
ourselves until they are vapour-compliant.

It should be mentioned that the contagion properties of
renouncement are somewhat less than epidemic.  Vince decided to
"do the deed," but others are not exactly leaping for their
passports and Lonely Planet guides.  In fact, most of the at-risk
group here are still swearing by the bible and running up the flag
every morning, just in case anybody gets the wrong idea.  Or at
least that's what it seems like to those of us immunised at birth.

iang

Thread