1998-09-07 - Re: What we are Fighting

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 8b3539e99c8c14a5a8ef0b2da4ca2b01f44c7159279b5fa21e1b4f26e192f7fa
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.980907143754.17348A-100000@well.com>
Reply To: <v03130308b219b1d32914@[209.66.100.36]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-07 21:43:48 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 05:43:48 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 05:43:48 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: What we are Fighting

We even make an illusion to Monica's Cigar in a story in this week's Time.
A Microsoft story I was working on died at the last moment, unfortunately.

As for the crypto bills, there is no comparable Senate bill. Certainly
this is not for lack of sponsors: Kyl and Feinstein would be glad to
introduce it, and Kyl chairs a relevant subcommittee. But they wanted to
see how far they'd get with McCain's bill, and now it's too late to do
much, as Tim said.

-Declan

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Tim May wrote:

> At 6:53 AM -0700 9/7/98, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>
> >There is, offically, a proposal on the table to limit speech within the
> >U.S. by restricting sale, manufacture, distribution, import of non-GAK'd
> >crypto. A House committee approved that one year ago.
> >

> I'd forgotten about that little one. Of course, it has not gone anywhere
> (no Senate version or committee markup, right?), so I'm not yet ready to
> say there's official action on its way. And, fortunately, the session is
> over but for the shouting about Clinton and his cigars.
>
> --Tim May
>
> "The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the blood of
> tyrants...."
> Timothy C. May              | Crypto Anarchy: encryption, digital money,
> ComSec 3DES:   408-728-0152 | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
> W.A.S.T.E.: Corralitos, CA  | knowledge, reputations, information markets,
> Licensed Ontologist              | black markets, collapse of governments.

Thread