1998-09-08 - RE: What we are Fighting

Header Data

From: “James Lucier” <james.lucier@worldnet.att.net>
To: “Tim May” <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: e0c14b67fad4f3168851cb6153998000faa0c98a2958d03b2b5d5179e49fb4aa
Message ID: <000201bddb17$23206be0$08b24e0c@oemcomputer>
Reply To: <v03130308b219b1d32914@[209.66.100.36]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-08 07:58:32 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 15:58:32 +0800

Raw message

From: "James Lucier" <james.lucier@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 15:58:32 +0800
To: "Tim May" <declan@well.com>
Subject: RE: What we are Fighting

Actually, Tim, the way the Men in Black work is that they keep their bans on
domestic crypto under wraps until the last moment and then get them adopted
with no public hearings in the crisis atmosphere of a heavily lobbied markup
session at some critical point in the legislative calendar.  They know that
the more people actually understand what they are up to, the less they are
likely to get what they want.  But do not underestimate the power of having
useful stooges like Jerry Solomon and the shamefully clueless Jon Kyl in
positions where they can do last-minute switcheroo on bills that are being
moved to the floor.  One of the major reasons why we didn't get the
Goodlatte bill on the floor this year is that moving it to the Floor would
have resulted in putting Oxley Manton or the House Intelligence Committee
bill on the Floor at the same time.