1995-01-07 - Re: Netcom is not a good example (Was: Re: Files and mail)

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 372072646a1af10a6005947e10588c70cfc99a3a8ffa15107dd255655c3dae44
Message ID: <199501070557.VAA12227@netcom18.netcom.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.950107000218.29538D-100000@unix2.netaxs.com>
UTC Datetime: 1995-01-07 05:57:33 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Jan 95 21:57:33 PST

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 95 21:57:33 PST
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Netcom is not a good example (Was: Re: Files and mail)

Michael Handler <grendel@netaxs.com> writes:

 > Yeah. They only kill accounts when people criticize
 > NetCruiser. :-P

 > Netcom is hardly an example of a quality service provider.
 > They suffer periodic long term news and email delays; their
 > service personnel are rude, slow, and unprofessional (read:
 > Bruce Woodcock & the above incident);

NetCruiser is a "work in progress" and continues to evolve in the
right direction.  Bruce Sterling Woodcock is history.  On the
rare occasions when I have interacted with support@netcom.com,
their responses have been both helpful and provided in a timely
fashion.

 > Their security has been compromised countless times

This is Unix.  Not a problem exclusive to Netcom.

 > They are home to some of the most infamous net.kooks and
 > net.cretins (like Tom Servo, currently), ...

I suppose I should be pleased that you have not included me by
name in the list. :)

 > Frankly, I'd rather have a Winternet account than a Netcom
 > account.

Fine with me.  As long as *I* don't have to have a Winternet
account.

     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread