1995-11-06 - Re: lp ?

Header Data

From: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
To: “Peter D. Junger” <junger@pdj2-ra.f-remote.cwru.edu>
Message Hash: 3c13409f57d1e5a49d3e02cbf9aeaf00cb86590eee7cfbb292a9651de94eabc1
Message ID: <199511061924.OAA14371@jekyll.piermont.com>
Reply To: <m0tCWQC-0004JWC@pdj2-ra.F-REMOTE.CWRU.Edu>
UTC Datetime: 1995-11-06 20:10:03 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 04:10:03 +0800

Raw message

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 04:10:03 +0800
To: "Peter D. Junger" <junger@pdj2-ra.f-remote.cwru.edu>
Subject: Re: lp ?

"Peter D. Junger" writes:
> "Perry E. Metzger" writes:
> : It isn't clear that telecoms treaties don't implicitly make this legal
> : in spite of the export regulations.
>
> Once again, what the ITAR forbid is the disclosure of cryptographic
> software to a foreign person within or without the United States, so
> it does not make any difference whether the message containing the
> code passes through the United States or not.

I understand that you are a lawyer and I'm not, but it is my
understanding that international treaties come in to play on this sort
of thing. For instance, in international shipments, you can transship
items and substances that are illegal to possess in a country through
its ports provided that the materials do not originate or terminate
their shipment in the country and remain sealed in their containers
throughout. It is also my understanding that items like mail and phone
calls that happen to transit a country are not necessarily subject to
that nations laws provided that the nation is not a terminal point for
the mail or call or what have you.

Treaties on this subject would quite clearly superseed any federal
laws under the supremacy clause of the constitution.

I am not absolutely sure of this, but I'm fairly sure that there are
already rules on all of this.

Perry

Thread