1996-01-26 - Re: “Gentlemen do not read each other’s mail”

Header Data

From: Jon Lasser <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>
To: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
Message Hash: 717a2b7dc69c7e01e2d728a2ffcc00a48ff6b0c4fdf5b2feda38f7341271ac33
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960126103914.25000B-100000@rwd.goucher.edu>
Reply To: <Pine.SV4.3.91.960126021308.19760C-100000@larry.infi.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-26 17:29:59 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 01:29:59 +0800

Raw message

From: Jon Lasser <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 01:29:59 +0800
To: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
Subject: Re: "Gentlemen do not read each other's mail"

On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Alan Horowitz wrote:

> The first was in a monograph which was putting forth the proposition that
> FDR  ardently desired to become involved in the war.  By the way, FDR was
> the man who made wage income, subject to federal taxation for the first
> time.
>
> I don't remember where I read the second.
>
> To me, both stories are plausible.

In fact, before FDR, wage income was taxed; however, it was one large
check at the end of the yeraar (or the beginning of the next, really).

The high cost of WW II made it a necessity for the gvm't to have more
money at a particular moment, and not wait for year-end.

I can't remember when the amendment constitutionalizing (is that a word)
the income tax was passed; however, the income tax (and wage income was
most certainly taxed) was AFAIK implemented by the end of the 19th century.

I might be wrong on dates here; the general principle still stands...
Jon Lasser
Jon Lasser                <jlasser@rwd.goucher.edu>            (410)494-3072
          Visit my home page at http://www.goucher.edu/~jlasser/
  You have a friend at the NSA: Big Brother is watching. Finger for PGP key.

Thread