1996-01-26 - Re: “Gentlemen do not read each other’s mail”

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
To: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
Message Hash: 8e2471a94965d298f0fb8113fe3fc9d3000dd05ea05a2d40ae4889292d3f50ae
Message ID: <Pine.ULT.3.91.960125162115.11995F-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Reply To: <199601252139.QAA16761@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-26 04:46:13 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 12:46:13 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 12:46:13 +0800
To: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Subject: Re: "Gentlemen do not read each other's mail"

On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> hallam@w3.org writes:
> > There is a considerable difference between running a government and
> > being an individual. It is not merely ethical for one government to
> > read another's mail, it is a duty.
>
> I am a funny sort of person. I don't believe that governments should
> be able to do anything that individuals cannot. If it is bad for me to
> steal, it is also bad for a government official to steal. If it is bad
> for me to listen in on my neighbor's phone calls, it is bad for the
> government, too.

Er, I believe the above was clearly intended to mean "for one government
to read another government's mail."

> I do not mean to pretend that there is an absolute ethics. I merely
> claim that I do not find in my mind an easy distinction between the
> acts of a government official under color of authority and the acts of
> any other individual.

How about:

It is the ethical duty of a responsible government to read other
government's mail, absent any treaties or gentlemen's agreements to the
contrary.

It is the ethical duty of a responsible government not to read its own
citizens' mail without specific probable cause that a crime has occurred
or is imminent.

It is the ethical duty of responsible citizens to read their own
government's mail, to ensure that their government is behaving ethically.

The knotty bits concern how much of its own mail the government needs to
disclose, because you can't really disclose it to your own citizens
without effectively disclosing it to the whole world. And how much the
government can lie, cheat, and steal in purely international affairs. I'd
answer "a lot" to both.

-rich
 Fucking Statist

Thread