1996-01-26 - Re: “Gentlemen do not read each other’s mail”

Header Data

From: Matt Miszewski <crypto@midex.com>
To: N/A
Message Hash: 81a9934748b7ae5130f8eb4a4bceba3d1e533c49561270726a9704b7f174dea5
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9601252203.A16004-0100000@shaq.midex.com>
Reply To: <199601251947.OAA16586@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-01-26 00:23:47 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 08:23:47 +0800

Raw message

From: Matt Miszewski <crypto@midex.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 08:23:47 +0800
Subject: Re: "Gentlemen do not read each other's mail"

On Thu, 25 Jan 1996, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Phill refers to the man who said "Gentlemen do not read each other's
> mail", (Henry L. Stimson) as a twit.
>
> I highly disagree. In some ways I regard him as our patron saint
> (although the man was actually far from saintly and later as a member
> of the Roosevelt cabinet adopted an opposite policy of aggressive
> signals intelligence.)
>
> Why is he our patron saint? He was a government official coming out
> against invasion of privacy. Isn't that what we are all after, in the
> end? The reason we deploy cryptography is to assure privacy for
> all. We often refer to those who listen in on conversations
> (regardless of who they are) as, in some sense, our
> opposition. Therefore, is not Stimson's remark in closing down
> Yardley's "Black Chamber" to be praised rather than attacked?

The crypto relevance of this post is tenuous at best :-).  Please keep
your comments to relevant code or technical discussions of crypto.  This
is *not* patronSaintPunks!  Come on!

For the humor impaired *this is a joke*.  Not flame bait.  Just trying to
get Perry to lighten up a bit.

> Perry

Matt

Thread