1996-04-28 - Re: Mindshare and Java

Header Data

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
To: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Message Hash: 64df19d9a9fb3df25d3d276323e3f06d0fb81a2b8cea339a997b8a494d5946c3
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960427210353.25084B-100000@chivalry>
Reply To: <Pine.GUL.3.93.960427162243.9454C-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-28 09:33:08 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 17:33:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Simon Spero <ses@tipper.oit.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 1996 17:33:08 +0800
To: Rich Graves <llurch@networking.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: Mindshare and Java

On Sat, 27 Apr 1996, Rich Graves wrote:

> I think it would be a waste of time to build a multitiered security model
> where applets with certain classes of signatures would be allowed to do
> more. But signatures are still useful in a flat security model.

Can you explain a bit more about why you think a multitiered model is not
useful? I thought the general rule of thumb was to execute code with the
minimum privileges necessary- are you advocating a single all-or-nothing
approach?

Simon

---
They say in  online country             So which side are you on boys
There is no middle way                  Which side are you on
You'll either be a Usenet man           Which side are you on boys
Or a thug for the CDA                   Which side are you on?
  National Union of Computer Operatives; Hackers, local 37   APL-CPIO

Thread