1997-05-14 - Just Say “No” to Congress

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Lucky Green <declan@pathfinder.com>
Message Hash: 63d53a5ccf94bb84187ac3f66944dc2cc4f34aee53acec43317dbc82d461db82
Message ID: <v03007802af9fa094e283@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19970513220804.006f09d4@netcom13.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-14 16:28:05 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 00:28:05 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 00:28:05 +0800
To: Lucky Green <declan@pathfinder.com>
Subject: Just Say "No" to Congress

At 9:14 PM -0800 5/13/97, Lucky Green wrote:
>At 12:19 PM 5/11/97 -0400, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>>You might remember I wrote recently about the DoJ report released this
>>month that calls for new legislation to ban bomb-making info online. Now
>>Feinstein's office tells me she's going to introduce a bill.
>
>Feinswine never saw a gun/mind control bill she didn't like. She is an
>ultra fascist that rose to power thanks to the yellow dog Bay Area voters.

Feinswine/Swinestein is the most despicable of all the politicians in
Congress. (This is not just ideology speaking...her usual-ally Barbara
Boxer is much less swinish, and even has some independent thoughts. I can't
see I often agree with Boxer, but she's not the Big Sister automaton that
Swinestein is.)

We're basically under assault from all directions. The bozos in Congress
and state governments are spinning out new laws and obscure regulations
faster than we can react...and of course they're using our money to
generate these laws and lobby for them. Further, a mostly-brainwashed
Washington media population is surprising uncritical of these blizzard
drifts of new laws.

As others have noted, recently James Donald, the lawmakers play the "good
cop, bad cop" game very well. Crypto becomes exportable (good cop), but
only if keys are given to the government (bad cop). Speech is ostensibly
protected by new laws, but new provisions criminalize racist, homophobic,
disrespectful, hurtful, offensive, or unpopular opinions.

The "there ought to be a law" crowd is in high gear.

The only proper rebuttal is to reject their view that more laws will fix
the societal ills they perceive.

Attempting to "work with them" only feeds the good cop/bad cop system, as
the SAFE and Pro-CODE bills show.

Removing the Washington area as a malignant tumor requiring drastic surgery
remains an option.

--Tim May