1997-05-15 - Re: Just Say “No” to Congress

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: e3fd31d79d269f2e0a533bdd5ad89aacc91b48ea0bed3199ffd65ed23053c6e7
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970515012224.16535G-100000@cp.pathfinder.com>
Reply To: <v03007802af9fa094e283@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-05-15 05:53:12 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 13:53:12 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@pathfinder.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 13:53:12 +0800
To: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Just Say "No" to Congress

Tim wrote:

> We're basically under assault from all directions. The bozos in Congress
> and state governments are spinning out new laws and obscure regulations
> faster than we can react...and of course they're using our money to
> generate these laws and lobby for them. Further, a mostly-brainwashed
> Washington media population is surprising uncritical of these blizzard
> drifts of new laws.

Hmmm... Do I get counted in the "mostly-brainwashed" category?

FYI, here are two bills that Feinstein introduced recently:

     S. 504. Children's Privacy Protection and Parental Empowerment Act
     of 1997. Prohibits the sale of personal information about children
     without their parents' consent. Introduced by Feinstein (D-CA) on
     3/20/97. Referred to the Committee on the Judiciary.

     S. 600. Personal Information Privacy Act of 1997. Amends FCRA to
     prohibit sale on non-public information, prohibits use of SSN as ID
     number, limits use of SSN on drivers liscenses. Introduced by
     Feinstein (D-CA) on 4/16/97. Referred to the Committee on Finance.

-Declan

Thread