1997-06-23 - Re: spam on this list

Header Data

From: Jason William RENNIE <jrennie@hardy.ocs.mq.edu.au>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 39d8021c330e335b415e41eab81c27216a8b86e7856b54939b6a7f9ab245524f
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.970623224324.26980A-100000@hardy.ocs.mq.edu.au>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970623063123.0092e8c0@popd.ix.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-23 13:14:39 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 21:14:39 +0800

Raw message

From: Jason William RENNIE <jrennie@hardy.ocs.mq.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 21:14:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: spam on this list

I thik i've badly explained myself.

The reason i HATE spam is for the same reason i hate telemarketing. I
resent these #@%@#$@$ using MY mail box as an advertising medium. If i
look at there page, and it has advertising thats fine, because i went
there. If i'm on a list that has advertsing on it, then it is my choive
and i can get off the list. Having it sent to MY email box is NOT my
choice and my rights to choose are being infringed by these idiot
shoveling there crap into my email box.

Do you like telemarketers calling you ?? Is that free speech or invasion
of privacy. There is a solution to tele marketing. It is to tell thm it
will cost the $500 to use your phone for advertising purposes. It has
been done, taken to court and won. In fact the judge had his football
inturpted by the telemarketers and they has to pay. This guy has never
been called again.

WOuld this work with SPAM ?? I dont want it and they dont have permisiion
to advertise in something that is mine. IF that is a violation of free
speech can i come over to your place and put up some pro neo-nazi stuff
on your property without your permission. I'm just harmlessly advertising
on yuor personal property.

I agree this is an extreme example but i think it makes the point.

I'm not anti-free speech, i'm just anti unwanted mail.

Unfortuently i cant just tell them it will set them back cash to
advertise in my mail box because i'm in australia and the legal headaches
wouldn't make it worth it. Doe snaybody in the US want to take it up and
kill spam once and for all ?? You only need the legal precedent set.

I expect to get flamed and crapped all over for this but i dont care. I
resent being suggested i'm some sort of ultra right conservative. Well i
guess thats who those guys are i was told i was wanting to be like.

Jason =8-]

Thread