1997-06-23 - How did these people find our list?

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: ccf1967354e4211345a7149db22872d27810d4d6a952a8d8032f5bb3f8c36250
Message ID: <v03102801afd44ad76fad@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03102803afd39f286d13@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-23 16:55:47 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 00:55:47 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 00:55:47 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: How did these people find our list?

At 3:31 AM -0700 6/23/97, Philip A. Mongelluzzo wrote:

>I still am concerned about kids being subject to material that is
>inappropriate for their age group (what ever that may be).  So how do I
>insure that my son/daugher does not get their hands on _THIS_ material?

Presumably by controlling them yourself. You can't demand that others limit
their thoughts, or their fucking words [added deliberately] just so that
little Johnny and Suzie won't ever be exposed to four letter words or even
images more suitable for adults.

If you don't want them exposed, don't let them be exposed. Simple.

>Twenty seven years ago I took an oath to do whatever was needed to protect
>and defend the constitution against all enemies (domestic and foreign)  But

Like the Congressvermin, you took the oath but failed to understood what
you were supposdly defending. (Actually, not to sound disrespectful, but as
there has been no credible threat of attack or invasion of the states in
America in at least 170 years, what you were largely agreeing to protect
and defend were the force projections of the U.S. military to places like
Viet Nam, Lebanon, Cuba, and Europe; and you were also protecting the
CIA-controlled C-5 cargo planes importing drugs into the U.S.)

"Congress shall make no law" does _not_ mean "Congress shall pass more and
more laws designed to protect children and other impressionable persons
against thoughts they shouldn't be having."

>what is the solution to this problem from a parents point of view?  Simple
>- control the material.  Make it like liquor, guns, booze.  Oops.. for some
>reason this is a violation of the 1st amendment to!  Ok, my mistake, its my
>problem.  That's easy, no Internet access.  Now my kid is at a
>disadvantage!  I keep loosing here.  I don't like the way this is beginning
>to feel!!

Your problem, not mine, and not this list's, and not government's. If you
don't want your child to read certain items, or see certain things, or
think certain thoughts, it's up to you to control this.

Exactly analogous to a Muslim parent not wanting his child exposed to
heathen thoughts and images. And so on. (Really, it is precisely
analogous...think about it.)

>I'm sure that the community on this list has discussed this problem at
>length.  What is the best defense?  How do we get the message out or,
>better yet, deliver it?

No, actually we have not discussed this "problem" at length. No reason too,
as this is not a list about parenting and parental techniques and moral
teachings for children.

>Whatever that is, we need to do the same thing for the 2nd Ammendment, and
>the 3rd, and so on.

Nope. You're on the wrong list. "Gun control" means being able to aim and
fire accurately and quickly.

>Just another citizen wondering if anything is going to be left for our
>grandchildren.

Not if people like you demand that government "do something!"

--Tim May