1997-06-13 - Re: FUCK YOU: There’s no general right to privacy – get over it, from Netly

Header Data

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: 51e9dfdd7287a6b7473b3aa7a6329dd7b1694cbc4877b84e10b705b0395fd6b3
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.96.970613113859.23715G-100000@beast.brainlink.com>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970613082033.27747N-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-13 16:00:49 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 00:00:49 +0800

Raw message

From: Ray Arachelian <sunder@brainlink.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 00:00:49 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: Re: FUCK YOU: There's no general right to privacy -- get over it, from Netly

On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Declan McCullagh wrote:

> I suppose I am scum, at least by Ray's definition.
>
> But let me ask this question: if someone *did* post my credit card/bank
> records online through an anonymous remailer, what recourse would I have?
> What recourse should I have?
>
> -Declan

My point exactly.  Why should anyone have access to my machine or my
records and be able to pass it on to others?  Sure the insurance companies
will squeal that they should have access to my DMV and health records, but
should they have the right to take that info and pass it on publically?

What recourse do you feel you should have?

What would YOU do if someone did post all your personal info online?
things like credit records, home address, phone number, DMV records,
health records and such?  What would you WANT to do?  And what control do
you currently have over this?

Mind you, with your credit card info, any one of the "ankle biters" of the
Bevis & Butthead mentality would be able to purchase a dozen toilets and
have them shipped to your home, and other such abuses.  Or report all your
credit cards stolen right before you decide to entertain someone to dinner
and find you can't pay for it... etc...  These are all well known pranks.

Do you see my point and why I'm vehemently opposed to yours?

Or do you believe that "Oh, I have nothing to hide, I'm a good person and
have nothing to fear from anyone?"

> On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, Ray Arachelian wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 12 Jun 1997, Declan McCullagh wrote:
> >
> > > http://pathfinder.com/netly/editorial/0,1012,1050,00.html
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > >      I have a confession to make: Unlike many of my
> > > civil libertarian colleagues, I believe you have no
> > > general right to privacy online. Sure, you have the
> > > right to protect your personal data, but you shouldn't
> > > be able to stop someone else from passing along that
> > > information if you let it leave your computer. That's
> > > your responsibility.
> >

> > Booooooooo!  Hisssssssssss!  Putting your bread and butter before your
> > morals, eh?  Maybe if someone would go through all your records and post
> > them all over the net, you'd feel differently!
> >
> > Declan, this truly sucks. :(  I'm very disappointed in you.  You are truly
> > scum if you believe this.

.+.^.+.|  Ray Arachelian    | "If you wanna touch the sky, you must  |./|\.
..\|/..|sunder@sundernet.com| be prepared to die.  And I hate cough  |/\|/\
../|\..| "A toast to Odin,  | For with those which eternal lie, with |.\|/.
.+.v.+.|God of screwdrivers"| strange aeons, even death may die.     |.....

Thread