1997-06-14 - Re: FUCK YOU: There’s no general right to privacy – get over it, from Netly

Header Data

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Message Hash: 70234ae574f3a82415011e9d9b6be3684e8e5a4c86d7aa310a67c3b1b1ebd4e2
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970613182413.612A-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970613083909.27747Q-100000@well.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-14 10:25:56 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 18:25:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Paul Bradley <paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 18:25:56 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject: Re: FUCK YOU: There's no general right to privacy -- get over it, from Netly

> He still misunderstands my position. I'm saying you have no property right
> in information others collect about you.

There is no such thing as intellectual property rights period. All
patents and copyrights are violations of free speech, technology is the
only way to protect so called "intellectual property"... If you don`t
want people to have information don`t release it.

> Great. You want Congress to pass a law that says "Netscape shall release
> no more buggy browsers." Yeah, and mandate that pi is 3.14, right?

No, I wouldn`t mind one that made bugs in Micro$oft stuff criminal ;-)...
BTW, I`m pretty sure it was pi=3.2 on that bill.

> > What I leave on my computer is my private business, and NOBODY HAS THE
> > RIGHT TO SURF IT WITHOUT MY PERMISSION.  Whether or not they have root.

> I'm not saying that people have a "right to surf (?) it without your
> permission." That's a violation of your property rights, a trespass.
> But if you connect to my web site, I should be allowed to record
> whatever info leaks from your computer. Don't like it? Cut the flow or
> don't come.

Declan put this point very well here, don`t confuse listening to other
peoples speech with breaking into their house and reading their private
diary. If you don`t want the information free keep it confidential,
simple as that.

        Datacomms Technologies data security
       Paul Bradley, Paul@fatmans.demon.co.uk
  Paul@crypto.uk.eu.org, Paul@cryptography.uk.eu.org