1997-01-05 - C’punks “moderation” experiment

Header Data

From: Vin McLellan <vin@shore.net>
To: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
Message Hash: 12d26422f1b27dbc2157af1106cd62fa0c23517b055121477ee1a893eba87bcc
Message ID: <v03007800aef5c7ed76ab@[206.243.166.102]>
Reply To: <199701051939.LAA05342@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-05 21:44:23 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 13:44:23 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Vin McLellan <vin@shore.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 13:44:23 -0800 (PST)
To: John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com>
Subject: C'punks "moderation" experiment

	Thank you.  I look forward to more of the best of C'punks, without
having the hassle of continually  weeding out the vapid bullshit.
Apparently because of your philosophical orientation, you have stayed open
-- and kept the List open -- to this pattern of eggregious harassment far
longer than I would have thought possible.  I applaud your patience, but
for myself -- I have had more than enough!

	I think the way you choose to resolve the problem is admirable;
indeed, fair beyond belief -- and I wish any masochist who continues to
read the completely unmoderated list the best of luck.  It has been painful
to watch an often-challenging array of voices, from a wide variety of POVs,
become swamped by drivel from assholes whose only goal was to burden the
List with dung.  As was doubtless their goal, they chased many
once-faithful readers away.

	I trust the List will remain open to varied POVs.  Sternlight, FC,
and any others who might offer substantive challenges to Libertarian
boiler-plate should never be feared or denied a hearing.  I don't mind
strident voices. I enjoy a conflict of ideas.  But I abhor the emply spams
and automated gratuitous-insult machines we've all had to endure for so
long.

	Suerte,
		_Vin

         Vin McLellan + The Privacy Guild + <vin@shore.net>
      53 Nichols St., Chelsea, MA 02150 USA <617> 884-5548

Thread