1998-01-22 - Why no “Banner Ad Eaters”?

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: 308c3800709581fc1eb0a43d80c48d84baf726a99cb65c572f73b32445d60947
Message ID: <v03102800b0ed615868a4@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <34c704c2.971366@128.2.84.191>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-22 21:07:14 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 05:07:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 05:07:14 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Why no "Banner Ad Eaters"?

At 8:21 AM -0800 1/22/98, bill.stewart@pobox.com wrote:

>What I'd really like to see in a browser is an option to
>turn off animated GIFs (other than by killing all images.)

Yeah, I'm surprised that "banner ad eaters" have not been widely deployed.
(If they're available, I haven't about them.) Something to remove the
annoying banners, or stop them from wasting valuable time loading in the
first place.

These would be comparable to "television commercial killers," which have
not really been feasible, as the pattern recognition methods (like
increased volume for commercials) are not reliable.

But with banner ads, this should be possible. Whether through a plug-in, or
through a "patched" version of Navigator or Explorere. (In fact, why don't
these vendors offer a switch to turn off downloading of ads? I think I know
the marketing reason, but this still suggests a market opportunity for
someone to jump in with a patched version, or a "advertising-free" browser.)

BTW, some of the notorious features of the new "anti-hacking" laws make
disassembly of programs, like browsers, illegal. While they won't bother
with folks who just fool around with disassembling code, they might use
these anti-hacking laws to throw the book at anyone who made such a
banner-eater available.

After all, directly infringing on the rights of advertisers to beam their
shit into our eyeballs is America's most serious crime.

--Tim May