1998-01-22 - Re: Revenge on the Nerds -Maureen on a rampage

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c3226b440cd6c3a2f718baec2623fb6eda88bca84a11036ebe4bcad086ece3fb
Message ID: <B9PoJe20w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <19980121.080832.attila@hun.org>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-22 01:57:37 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:57:37 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 09:57:37 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Revenge on the Nerds  -Maureen on a rampage

"Attila T. Hun" <attila@hun.org> writes:

>     and everyone thought I have been blowing smoke over the
>     few years over the need to dismember Micro$haft. More
>     aye-sayers than naysayers have joined the fray, some even
>     eloquently.  even the opinion polls are against BadBillyG:
>     bubba is more trusted! as is the government...

I don't know why there's somuch mickeysoft-related traffic all of a sudden,
but here are a couple of rants:

Jack Aaron's, the commodities division of Goldman Sachs, controls inter alia
like 99% of US coffee supply.  if you try to circumvent their monopoly,
by trying to import a material amount of coffee, whether it's the cheap shit
for proles or the high-end caffeine fix from Kenya, you and your suppliers
just might find yourself in a lot more trouble that the computer manusfacturers
who were reluctant to put the free mickeysoft browser on their dekstop.
Why doesn't DOJ come down on Goldman Sachs?  Does it have anything to do with
the fact that a Goldman Sachs partner is in Clinton's cabinet?

Speaking of browsers: I'd rather *pay* for a browser that has such an obvious
feature as a list of URL regexps that you don't want to browse. Neither IE
nor Netscape has it. I don't know about Lynx.  I'm now using junkbuster
from www.junkbuster.com (highly recommended) to filter out ads and banners
and cookies. I generally think WWW sucks; but if I use it, I want to be able
to tell the browser that if the page tried to load an image from a URL
that looks like

valueclick.com
bannermall.com
adforce.*.com/
bannerweb.com
eads.com/
/*/sponsors/*.gif
*banner*.gif
/image/ads/

etc etc, I want the browse to ignore this request. Clearly Microsoft and
Netscape both don't give a damn about the desires of their NON-PAYING users
and would rather bend over for the advertisers.

Wow, two rants for the price of one.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM