1998-01-22 - Re: Revenge on the Nerds -Maureen on a rampage

Header Data

From: ichudov@Algebra.COM (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: devnull@www.video-collage.com
Message Hash: 9cc9b6c8e8cea8a579d13852853ce27267b154ef121feee61916fee61fe597d6
Message ID: <199801220537.XAA00871@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <B9PoJe20w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-01-22 05:51:20 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:51:20 +0800

Raw message

From: ichudov@Algebra.COM (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:51:20 +0800
To: devnull@www.video-collage.com
Subject: Re: Revenge on the Nerds  -Maureen on a rampage

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM wrote:
> Speaking of browsers: I'd rather *pay* for a browser that has such an obvious
> feature as a list of URL regexps that you don't want to browse. Neither IE
> nor Netscape has it. I don't know about Lynx.  I'm now using junkbuster
> from www.junkbuster.com (highly recommended) to filter out ads and banners
> and cookies. I generally think WWW sucks; but if I use it, I want to be able
> to tell the browser that if the page tried to load an image from a URL
> that looks like
>
> valueclick.com
> bannermall.com
> adforce.*.com/
> bannerweb.com
> eads.com/
> /*/sponsors/*.gif
> *banner*.gif
> /image/ads/
>
> etc etc, I want the browse to ignore this request. Clearly Microsoft and
> Netscape both don't give a damn about the desires of their NON-PAYING users
> and would rather bend over for the advertisers.

I suggest writing a proxy server that does such filtering, running it on
the local machine, and using it as proxy server from your netscape browser.

There is a proxy server in form of a 20 line perl script, you
can take it and modify it.

	- Igor.

Thread