1997-12-04 - Re: Censorial leftists (Was: Interesting article)

Header Data

From: James Love <love@cptech.org>
To: declan@well.com
Message Hash: e291f7e1961ba335eb53554e0fb31c1128f778c86ef19bcbade111e31b19f4c3
Message ID: <3485ED4B.21881E76@cptech.org>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.95.971203181646.154B-100000@vorlon.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-04 00:10:21 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 08:10:21 +0800

Raw message

From: James Love <love@cptech.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 08:10:21 +0800
To: declan@well.com
Subject: Re: Censorial leftists (Was: Interesting article)

Declan McCullagh wrote:
> Jamie, I may have missed the fab 50s but I suspect you spent a little too
> much time in the psychadelic 60s. In 1997, a leftist can best be defined
> as a big government fetishist. :)

   A "big government fetishist" is cute, but it seems fairly
non-specific.  Are moral majority types leftists?  Are the supporters of
the Department of Commerce leftists?  Are supporters of a bloated
defense department leftists?  Can't get enough of that CIA funding
leftists?  IMF supporters are leftists?  FED lovers are leftists?
Groups that lobby for higher crop supports are leftists?  S&L bail out
supporters are leftists?  Supporters of GATT are leftists?  Are
supporters of more NIH funding leftists?  (how about the PhRMA support
for this?)  Supporters of aggressive new government programs to define
(and enforce) new Intellectual Property rights are leftists?

    I think the term "leftists" must mean something more than "a big
government fetishist."  Frankly, I know of few persons who are
consistently advocates of big government, but I know lots of groups,
many certainly not leftists, who have their favorite government
programs.

   Maybe, however, you think all these folks are leftists?

   Jamie

--
James Packard Love
Consumer Project on Technology