1997-06-05 - Re: McVeigh is not the issue!

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
To: “Robert A. Costner” <pooh@efga.org>
Message Hash: 64e79ece46d59282c71269799c495afe7047aa098e0cb4f57c0541b8b1931309
Message ID: <v03102800afbca3a014c9@[10.0.2.15]>
Reply To: <v03102809afbc01d62f74@[10.0.2.15]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-05 19:16:06 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 03:16:06 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 03:16:06 +0800
To: "Robert A. Costner" <pooh@efga.org>
Subject: Re: McVeigh is not the issue!

>I believe this is a bad policy, and think it should be opposed.  Perhaps a
>law
>should be considered to change this.  But obviously many people here would
>tell me I could just take another mode of transportation, such as riding the
>bus.  Airlines are private corporations owned by their owners, not by their
>riders.  The airlines apparently have a right (as Delta is doing) of
>demanding
>any prerequisite they wish for travel.  In the case of Delta, the
>prerequisite
>is "May I see your papers, please?"
[snip]
>I'm curious where the people here stand on such a policy.  Do you feel that
>positive ID to fly on a plane should be permissable?  How about a law to
>put a
>stop to it?

It is illegal to present forged government identification for matters
involving goverment business or commercial business regulated by federal
laws requiring such ID (e.g., purchase of cigarettes), but should it be
illegal to present forged government IDs in other circumstances when no
government regulation requires their presentation (the points regarding
contractual agreement not withstanding)?  I agree that airlines should be
able to condition travel based on requisite identification, but I believe I
should be able to present forged identifiction with no possibility of
criminal presecution.

--Steve

PGP mail preferred
Fingerprint: FE 90 1A 95 9D EA 8D 61  81 2E CC A9 A4 4A FB A9
Key available on BAL server, http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html
Steve Schear              | tel: (702) 658-2654
CEO                       | fax: (702) 658-2673
First ECache Corporation  |
7075 West Gowan Road      |
Suite 2148                |
Las Vegas, NV 89129       | Internet: azur@netcom.com

        I know not what instruments others may use,
         but as for me, give me Ecache or give me debt.

        SHOW ME THE DIGITS!

Thread