1997-06-05 - Re: McVeigh is not the issue!

Header Data

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
To: Tim May <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: c38cdf1084d15cebe0fda1f040f347356c510f1898d94653125c59c32756ec32
Message ID: <v03102809afbc01d62f74@[10.0.2.15]>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.91.970603182957.90A-100000@fatmans.demon.co.uk>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-05 05:48:35 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 13:48:35 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Schear <azur@netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 13:48:35 +0800
To: Tim May <cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: McVeigh is not the issue!

>(The airlines claim the FAA is requiring traveller identity. Maybe yes,
>maybe no.

Traveler ID is not 'required', however if you don't possess a government
issued ID and/or have paid for your ticket via cash within 48 hours of
departure expect some delays in your travel and a through search of your
baggage.

>Any extension to further "position escrow"
>(which is what I call the increasing requirements that citizen-units report
>their identities when travelling) would, as I understand the Constitution,
>violate various freedoms to move about with government interference.)
>
>These are the serious issues.

Yes, they are and the Feds are tip-toeing around the matter ever so lightly
so as not to have the ACLU on their case.

--Steve

Thread