1997-06-03 - Re: McVeigh

Header Data

From: Hallam-Baker <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
To: frissell@panix.com (Duncan Frissell)
Message Hash: 8ea21a2af34242ab2ea32015e5e1c56341ebb42b012258cd2346d4b2f35dd638
Message ID: <199706032129.RAA10938@muesli.ai.mit.edu>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970603171127.036e9fd0@panix.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-03 21:50:07 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 05:50:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Hallam-Baker <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 05:50:07 +0800
To: frissell@panix.com (Duncan Frissell)
Subject: Re: McVeigh

> >There is absolutely nothing that the anti-government ranters contribute
> >to the pro-cryptography movement. They are a liability at best. Stuart
> >Baker is even now probably peddling his Clipper chip initiative in
> >Europe holding up one of Jim Bell's rants as "proof" of his case.
>
> Nothing except motivation.  Anti-government ranters founded this list,
> invented remailers, and did a lot of other good work.

Actually remailers were invented by a lass called Stephi whose hobbies
appeared to include being tied up for fun. The original remailer
operating out of wizvax was a script that allowed anonymous posts
into alt.sex.bondage. Then it was expanded to support a couple of
other newsgroups such as alt.abuse. When Stephi ran out of cash to
keep wizvax running (I have a suspicion it was something expensive
power wise) Julf took over the code and the scripts.

I'll accept that the ranting faction do some good work but I've
not seen anything usefull out of either Bell or Vulis unless that
is you are an FBI agent looking to get a promotion from Freeh.

	Phill

Thread