1997-06-04 - Re: Who “invented” remailers?

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: Hallam-Baker <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
Message Hash: c4031b5cdf632d1e12275789b43381743afeb67f16b66974b3f79e1fc556d96f
Message ID: <v03102811afba9fb5ad1c@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v0310280cafba70127c0a@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-04 04:46:54 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 12:46:54 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 12:46:54 +0800
To: Hallam-Baker <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Who "invented" remailers?

At 8:44 PM -0700 6/3/97, Hallam-Baker wrote:

>The point I was making was rather different, I think the total volume
>of PGP mail of all types is probably not a large enough fraction of the
>trafic on the net to be secure. Taking any use of PGP as prima facie

^^^^^^^^^^
>evidence of subversive activity probably provides a reasonable cut.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you mean as prosecutable offense, I don't think you fully understand the
laws of the United States. Much as we like to criticize the U.S., and bad
laws, and whatnot, there is no such thing as "prima facie evidence of
subversive activity," at least not since the House Unamerican Activities
Committee and Joe McCarthy.

If you mean that intelligence agencies are compiling data bases, perhaps
this is so. All the more reason to push for vastly more remailers, PipeNet,
etc.

>How many people in total do you have using the mixers? How many mixers
>are there?

Raph Levien posts his report regularly to the list, plus he has a Web site.
The remailer operator's list discusses issues, too.

As for how many people "I have" using remailers, just 7, and one of those
is about to be let go.

Your other points assume certain political conditions which probably no
cryptographic system can deal with. Our goal is to prevent such political
conditions from happening in the U.S.  Europe, despite its "privacy
commissioners," may already be a lost cause.

--Tim May